- Strong command of the written word. Produce news releases, pitches, commentaries, articles, fact sheets and other content for client reports and proposals
- Serve as a client contact and provide public relations support and services including executing communications plans, supporting market research, coordinating social network campaigns
- Assist in formulating strategies, designing campaign plans, pitching client issues and events, initiating media placements and responding to public inquiries related to the client and any special event activities
- Adept at time and project management. Skilled at producing effectively and working smart under fast-paced, client-driven, deadline-oriented pressures
- Work closely with other staff to develop and support communications strategies, especially around emerging health equity campaigns and related policy issues promoted by the firm
- Provide problem-solving and creative initiatives to maximize client services and satisfaction
- Support team brainstorming and new ventures to position the clients
- At least three years’ experience (excluding internships) at a public relations agency or related field, including sustained employment at single organization; Journalism, public policy or social advocacy background, a plus
- Strong writing and oral communications skills with demonstrated abilities to produce work reports, news releases, commentaries and written and oral presentations to clients
- Public policy experience with clear understanding of the interplay between policy and communications
- Avid interest in, understanding of and exposure to news media with proven ability to plan and roll out national campaigns
- Proficiency with wide range of technology including online research tools, PowerPoint, Photoshop and Web 2.0 management skills; advanced skills in social marketing and new media a plus
- Collaborative work style; ability to inspire staff morale through anticipating work, creative brainstorming and appropriately contributing to collective process
- Flexible to changing and competing priorities dictated by client-driven environment
- Commitment to travel the extra mile for stellar results
McKinney & Associates is a strategic communications firm focused on practicing public relations with a conscience for more than 20 years by attracting clients who share the firm’s commitment to social justice.
The Internship Program is an important part of McKinney & Associates' commitment to the future of the communications industry. An internship provides students and recent graduates an opportunity to learn-by-doing, develop a mentor/protégée relationship with communications professionals and enhance skills.
College seniors and recent graduates are preferred for the intern position; however, students at the junior year level are also encouraged to apply. Individuals with a background in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or Creative Writing are preferred.
Communications and Marketing
- Develop written and oral presentation skill.
- Learn how to apply public relations and marketing skills and tactic.
- Understand and assist in the execution of event planning for clients.
- Understand the necessity of detailed client and market research.
- Become familiar with graphic design software programs.
- Work with the firm’s marketing and digital media team in implementing communication and outreach tactics.
- Report directly to the firm’s director of marketing and digital media for additional duties.
- Understand how companies rate and communicate employee performance.
- Understand ethics and business conduct in the communications industry.
- Develop planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Increase knowledge of computer skills and technology.
- Develop team-based work competencies.
- The primary incentive in this program is the opportunity to investigate a career in the communications industry with hands-on experience. Once completed, the intern will have sufficient knowledge necessary to determine if a career in communications is the right opportunity to pursue.
- The intern will participate in communications and marketing campaigns, development and rollout.
- The intern will work closely with the Marketing and Digital Media team to develop campaigns and execute them within the firm.
- The intern will work in a boutique strategic communications firm that will provide them opportunities to engage in challenging and varied work, perform substantive communications tasks and pave the way to possible full-time employment.
- The intern will develop skills vitally important in today’s business environment including team-based interaction, the ability to manage outcomes without having authority over others and the capability to aid in the definition and the direction of marketing initiatives.
The intern work schedule will include team meetings, project planning sessions, professional development sessions and mentor sessions with the communications professionals in the firm. The intern should expect to spend a minimum of 20-30 hours per week in structured activities in the office. The other 20-30 hours will be spent working on and completing assigned tasks.
- Engage digital for the firm and clients as directed.
- Conduct Internet research on clients and trending issues.
- Write weekly blog post.
- Assist in preparing press kits, project reports, proposals, work updates and other documents for clients and business development.
- Provide administrative support as needed.
- Compile daily clips.
- Assist with event management and production for the firm and clients.
Essential Position Qualifications:
- Professional attire in the office and when out in the community representing the firm.
- Creative and “out of the box” thinking and planning.
- Knowledge of social media tools and platforms.
- Ability to accomplish tasks independently and also willingness to work as a team.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and HTML and Desktop Publisher.
- Ability to remain flexible, handling changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Send a letter that specifically addresses the requirements identified in the position and how your experience and skills meet those requirements.
- Send via e-mail to email@example.com or by fax to 202-833-9770.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
McKinney & Associates welcomes diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
By Ronald Simms Jr., Digital Communications Specialist Apple has admitted that emoji lack...
By Nicole Hayes, Communications Associate Birmingham barber James Armstrong cut Dr. Martin Luther...